Edible Landscape Design & Installation
Beautiful, dynamic & productive gardens that nourish you
- We look at the whole picture and integrate fresh fruit, herbs and vegetables with the functional landscape elements using Permaculture design principles.
Our services are tailored to suit your needs: whether you need complete drawn layout plans, site specific plant lists, planting plans or simply a couple of hours site visit assessment and advice.
We work closely with you using a living design process. Involving your input as much as possible in decision making to develop a landscape unique to your needs. We aim to impart to you the principles of a living design process, as well as Permaculture principles, strategies and patterns as we work. This will leave you in good stead to continue evolving and adapting your garden as it grows.
Permaculture Design and biological (organic) principles and strategies are used to create productive, healthy, and ecologically sustainable landscapes. Household ‘wastes’ become resources for the garden. Thoughtful and resourceful planning is employed, using the least inputs (saving you money) to create maximum yields and benefits.
Our services are backed up by over a decade of local experience in Otago of edible landscape design, installation, plant selection and project management. See examples of our projects.
We are Your Home Orchard & Berry Garden Design & Install Experts
Fruit trees are the long living high production backbone of your edible garden. We create productive, unique & enjoyable orchard layouts.
We have an in depth knowledge of fruit types and specific varieties in Otago – we design orchards that suit your specific needs and your unique site. We select for suitability to your microclimate and for naturally healthy varieties that have strong genetic disease resistance
This ensures that you enjoy a diverse delicious fruit over a long harvesting period from plants that are easy to care for.
We Also Design, Install & Maintain:
- Kitchen gardens, potager
gardens, herb gardens & complete edible landscapes
- Raised beds, row crops, no-dig gardens, terracing – strategies, and styles of growing are selected specifically for you and your site
- Food forests, multilayered woodland like food gardens and permaculture orchards
- Native Plantings – Ecosystem specific trees, shrubs & grasses for biodiversity, birds, shelter, beauty and ecosystem services
- Chickens / Ducks, if desired, are often included in a way that benefit orhards and berry gardens or other tree crops. Helping with weed control and composting all the while providing lovely fresh eggs and companionship
- Ponds, swales and water gardens that store water in and passively irrigate the landscape. These are beautiful garden features in themselves
- We supply quality plants for your garden. Types and varieties of food plants are carefully selected for the micro-climates of your site. We recommend varieties that have been proven to be tasty, productive and disease resistant. We grow many great varieties here in our own Heritage Fruits Nursery
- We provide soil testing (contaminants and fertility) and recommendations – Biological / Permaculture techniques and strategies used. Work to Certified Organic standards as required
- We provide back-up support to ensure the ongoing success of your garden
Initial Consult, Site Assessment & Advice
On-site advice and recommendations to begin, improve or expand your edible garden.
This can be the starting point for a full garden design or it may be all you need to get you rolling on your own.
- We introduce the living design process & Permaculture principles
- We provide 20+ pages of resources: Recommended Local Plants, Soils, Planting Guide, Key principles & Concepts. Plus our A3 Vegetable Growing Calendar & Edible & Useful Trees & Shrubs Booklet
- We will assess your site’s soil and climate, the overall layout of your garden and talk through your needs and ideas
- We then discuss basic layout solutions and recommend what types of food plants will grow successfully on your site
- Notes are taken and layout options drawn on-site onto aerial images
- Smaller / less detailed projects may be marked out onsite in this time (such as small orchards, vegetable gardens)
Allow two to three hours for this.
Edible Landscape Layout Plan
Following the initial consult. A second site assessment and a site trial of layouts is made (with you if possible). A plan is then drawn up onsite or offsite depending on detail required.
This layout plan provides a plan view layout of your landscape. Showing how the various elements of the garden fit and work together. This is invaluable for moving ahead with either staged of full garden development.
Detailed design may include:
- Staged Implimentation Plan: Earthworks and water systems, access, shelter and trees, structures, through to soil amendments and detailed planting
- Hard Landscaping Layout Design
- Planting Plan Layout Design
- Planting Plan Species Lists: with type, varieties and numbers of plants detailed to ensure best success for your site
- Written Report which may include; soil amendment recommendations, garden establishment strategy, maintenance schedule, plant and materials sources
Detailed design is often staged throughout installation allowing for responsive decision making to an evolving site context
Garden Installation, Planting & Maintenance
Let us establish & maintatin your edible garden so that you can focus on the gardening and harvesting!
Adaptive use of on site resources – We work resourcefully for maximum yield.
See Resilient City Garden for an example of resourceful staged installation
- Earth works. Access, terraces, microclimates. Water systems such as ponds, swales and water gardens, these look great and passively store water and irrigate your plants
- Soils amended using organic methods – minerals, compost and mulches
- Economic high production instant sheet mulch gardens and orchards. Maximum food with a minimum of costly infrastructure
- Custom Macrocapa raised beds come in our popular 1.2m wide by 3m long and 200-600mm high beds or to fit your site. Great for getting above heavy soils
- Compost bays, chicken runs, tunnel houses, paths, shelter belts, native plantings
- Edible plants and other plants supplied & planted: reliable, productive varieties known to do well locally
Contact us for an estimate today.